I know this seems like a summer time salad, but It’s so good you’ll want to eat it all year round. This recipe is a collaboration between Heidi and I. Our local grocery store has a blt salad in the deli that served for our inspiration. The deli salad is good, but it defiantly needed a few tweaks.
The fist thing we did differently was to use really good fresh tomatoes. This time of year is perfect for the last of this years tomatoes at the farmers market. We used a combination of orange cherry tomatoes and heirloom tomatoes. The second thing we did was to use romaine lettuce instead of iceberg. The romaine gave a nice crunch and seemed to hold up well the next day. The last thing we did to improve this salad was to add some chopped green onions. This did two things, first it tied all the flavors together, and second it gave a nice pop of color. We hope you try this amazing salad.
- 8 cups cooked elbow macaroni
- ½ cup Hellman's Mayonnaise
- ½ cup Kraft Miracle Whip
- 1½ tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup cooked crumbled bacon (plus a little for garnish)
- 1 cup fresh diced tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped romaine lettuce
- ¼ cup chopped green onions (plus a few for garnish)
- Cook the macaroni as directed on the box. I would cook it to more on the tender side. Drain and cool slightly and do not rinse.
- In a large mixing bowl add the Miracle Whip, Mayo, sugar, salt, pepper, and lime juice. Mix thoroughly to combine.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and fold together gently until incorporated.
- Taste for seasoning.
- Garnish with bacon and green onions.
Tags: dinner, lunch, Macaroni, recipe, Side Dish