This is a great easy side dish that pairs well with red meat. It will go well with anything though, or you can eat it by itself.
Easy Smoked Gouda Mac & Cheese
- ½ box of large elbow macaroni (8oz)
- 4 quarts of water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ cup grated smoked gouda cheese
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cajun seasoning (with no salt)
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs
- Pre-heat oven to 400°
- For the macaroni
- Bring the water to a boil in a medium sized pot. Add the salt and cook the macaroni for 6 minutes. Strain and set aside.
- Pour the cream into a medium sized pot and bring to a simmer on medium heat. When it starts to simmer reduce the heat to low for 5 minutes stirring every couple of minutes. Add the salt and cajun seasoning and turn off heat. Let the cream cool for 2 minutes then add the cheese a ¼ cup at a time. Stir until the cheese has melted in the cream.
- Add the macaroni and stir.
- Taste for seasoning.
- Transfer to 8 greased (butter, olive oil, or cooking spray) ramekins or an 8 inch baking pan.
- Cover the top with the panko bread crumbs.
- Bake for 18 minutes or until the top gets slightly browned.
Tags: dinner, food, mac & cheese, recipe, Side Dish