The hustle and bustle of weeknights when the kids are back in school can be overwhelming. From homework to baths to dinner…You can’t hardly catch your breath.
This lasagna recipe is perfect for those nights when you don’t have a lot of time, but still want a good hearty delicious meal.
Our neighbors and friends have pummeled us with great peppers of all kinds from their late summer gardens. This recipe is a great way to use some of them. For the sauce I started out by rough chopping (really rough) some onion, mushrooms, and bell peppers. I threw them in a pan and sautéed them with olive oil for about six minutes. I reserved them for later and in the same pan I browned some ground grass fed beef. When the meat was almost done I added a big garlic clove that was minced. Then I added back the veggies, stirred in some tomato paste, and added a big can of crushed tomatoes. A few spices and a little sugar and that was it. While the sauce was cooking I boiled the lasagna noodles in salted water. Then it was time for assembly. An hour in the oven and you have a meal that will please your whole family. Plus you should have leftovers for lunch tomorrow.
- 12 lasagna noodles
- 8 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- For the sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1½ large onion roughly chopped
- 2 bell peppers any color roughly chopped
- 2 large or 4 small portobello mushrooms roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound of grass fed ground beef
- 2 tablespoons italian seasoning
- 1 large garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 1 28oz can of crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons cajun seasoning (optional)
- 1 24oz container of large curd cottage cheese
- 3 cups of grated mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Pre-heat oven to 375°
- Heat your water in a large stock pot on high heat until it comes to a rolling boil. Add 1 tablespoon of salt.
- In an extra large pan heat olive oil on medium high heat Add the onion, peppers, and mushrooms. add 1 teaspoon of the salt and pepper. Saute for 6 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside. In the same pan brown the ground beef. Add remaining salt and pepper and half of the italian seasoning. Just before the meat is cooked through add the garlic. Cook for 1 minute and then stir in the tomato paste and cook for 2 minutes. Add the crushed tomatoes, sugar, and remaining iltalian seasoning. At this point you can add the cajun seasoning if you like. Simmer on low for 10 minutes then turn off the heat. Make sure to taste for seasoning!!!
- While the sauce is cooking, cook the lasagna noodles for 8 minutes. Drain and sit aside.
- In a 4 quart baking pan spoon a ½ cup of sauce on the bottom of the pan and spread around to coat the bottom of the pan. Lay three of the lasagna noodles down in the pan. Spread the cottage cheese down in an even layer. Add three more noodles and cover these with a ¼ of the meat sauce. Now three more noodles. Add the parmesan and spread evenly. Spoon a ¼ of the sauce and spread evenly. Now three more noodles and a ¼ of the meat sauce. Lay the last three noodles down and the last of the meat sauce.
- Cover with aluminium foil and bake for 45 minutes. Remove the foil and add the mozzarella cheese in a nice even layer and bake uncovered for 12-15 minutes or until the cheese just starts to get a little golden brown. When it's done remove from the oven and let it rest for 10 minutes before slicing and plating.
Tags: dinner, food, garlic, Lasagna, recipe, tomato