I was browsing other food blogs looking for ideas and inspiration. I had a lot of tomatoes that needed to be used up so I thought I would throw them on the smoker. When looking for other smoked tomato sauce recipes I couldn’t really find any, well none that fit my idea of a smoked tomato sauce. Sure there were lots of recipes that said smoked tomato sauce, but most of them just had smoked paprika in them. I was actually bothered by the misrepresentation of most of the recipes I read. On this blog Roux and Me I will only post recipes that are as they say they are.
That being said this recipe turned out great. Many of you might not have a smoker, that’s ok. You can do this on a charcoal grill, just use like ten briquettes and put them on one side of your grill with a few wood chips that have been soaked for about 30 minutes. Then put your tomatoes as far away from the heat as possible. I used a piece of heavy-duty aluminum foil and made a little to put my tomatoes on. I also smoked half an onion, head of garlic, and some baby yellow and red bell peppers. These all went into my sauce. You are not looking to cook the tomatoes that much, you just want to infuse them with the smoke. My smoker was at 225 degrees. I smoked mine for a hour and a half. The garlic and onion needed another half hour.
When they were done I let them cool a bit and then peeled the skin off the tomatoes. I chopped up the onion and peppers, then squeezed the garlic cloves out of their skin. Then threw everything in the blender with salt, pepper, sugar, and basil. That’s it!
You can of course use this sauce on anything you would use a normal tomato sauce on. I paired mine with a nice slice of polenta. I’m going to use the rest of the sauce on a pizza tomorrow tonight.
For the polenta I use Bob’s Red Mill Corn Grits. Just follow the instructions for basic polenta on the back of the package.
I hope you will try this smoked tomato sauce. Leave a comment below and let me know what you think.:)
- 8 roma tomatoes
- ½ red bell pepper or 3 mini peppers
- ½ yellow onion
- 1 head of garlic
- 10 leaves of fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- For the polenta
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup Bob's Reb Mill Polenta
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- Heat your smoker or charcoal grill to 225 degrees
- Place tomatoes, onion, peppers, and garlic on a piece of aluminum foil on your smoker or grill. Smoke tomatoes for 1½ hours and everything else for 2 hours
- Peel the skin off the tomatoes and cut off the stems. Then chop the onion and peppers. Squeeze the garlic cloves out of their skin. Place tomatoes, onion, peppers, garlic, and basil in a blender and blend till smooth and there are no large chunks. Season with salt, pepper, and sugar. Pour into a pot and heat through.
- For the polenta boil the salted water and gradually and the polenta about a ¼ cup at a time and stir before adding more. Reduce heat to low and stir every couple minutes for 30 minutes.
- Turn off heat and stir in the butter. Wait 2 minutes and stir in the cheese. Serve immediately or pour into a greased 8 inch pan and chill for 2 hours. Then cut desired size and warm in oven or pan fry.
- Serve with smoked tomato sauce.
Tags: dinner, food, Grill, recipe, tomato